Happy New Year everybody! For the first post of 2018, I have compiled a continuous playlist with some of my favourite electronic tracks from the last few years; essentially music I’ve been listening to, when I am not listening to drum & bass. Although this is clearly a drum & bass-oriented blog, regular readers must have spotted my affinity for ambient, film scores and modern electronica. I have contemplated the expansion of the blog’s scope quite often, however I eventually decided to publish non-drum & bass content only sporadically for the time being, as it seems impossible to stay up-to-date with more than one electronic music genre in a consistent fashion these days.
“The soundtrack of daydreaming, adding widescreen vistas and deep, saturated hues to the monochrome silence”
The playlist selection has been quite diverse. Blurring the lines between composition and improvisation, from spacey ambience and dystopian interludes, to avant-garde electronica and contemporary classical music, the common denominator encompasses musicality, sound aesthetics and subtle emotional gravity. Despite the different musical direction and backgrounds of the featured artists, who are all electronic music luminaries across the spectrum, their music magically converges, creating the soundtrack of daydreaming, adding widescreen vistas and deep, saturated hues to the monochrome silence.
Full details of the tracklisting are provided below. For an intricate and immersive experience I strongly recommend listening to every album, EP or compilation, which the tracks are taken from, in their entirety.
- The Future Sound Of London – Strange Allure (Environment 6.5 LP, fsoldigital, 2016)
- ASC – All Come To Ruin (No Stars Without Darkness LP, Silent Season, 2016)
- 36 – Orphans Of The Sky (Tomorrow’s Explorers EP, 3Six Recordings, 2017)
- Acronym – Inner Conflict (Malm LP, Field, 2017)
- Synkro – Transition (VA, Disquiet Vol. 1, Unseen Music, 2017)
- Meeting By Chance – Snail (Lines EP, Apollo, 2017)
- Central Industrial – Integration (Tuned To A Dead Channel LP, Auxiliary, 2013)
- Robert Haigh – I Remember Phaedra (Creatures Of The Deep LP, Unseen Worlds, 2017)
- Pete Saturn – Loophole #2 (Rhea) (Escape The Orbit Of Saturn EP, Nord Label, 2016)
- Illuvia – Isla Nocturnal (Illuvia LP, Eternell, 2017)
- Arovane & Hior Chronic – Walk On Leaves (Into My Own LP, A Strangely Isolated Place, 2017)
- Tycho – Receiver (Epoch LP, Ghostly International, 2016)
- Penguin Cafe – Wheels Within Wheels (The Imperfect Sea LP, Erased Tapes, 2017)
- Kryshe – Night (March Of The Mysterious LP, Serein, 2017)
- Kiyoko – Archway (Fragments EP, Samurai Horo, 2014)
- Boards Of Canada – Reach For The Dead (Tomorrow’s Harvest LP, Warp, 2013)
- Bering Strait – Romance (Archive 1, Bering Strait, 2014)
- Helios – Vainglory (Remembrance EP, self-released, 2016)
- Gaussian Curve – The Distance (The Distance LP, Music From Memory, 2017)
- Ulrich Schnauss & Jonas Munk – Anywhere But Here (Passage LP, Azure Vista, 2017)